Do It Yourself Orienteering
Updated 23rd Oct 2021
COVID WARNING: When using permanent courses remember that large groups going out together(1-2 is good) are not recommended and that current social distancing rules must be applied.
- Always please make sure you use the most up to date map for any permanent course that you use. Changes often occur to both maps and courses. Controls on old maps may no longer exist and out of bounds areas change
- LOCATION MAP: see where all the courses are on Google Maps
- Click this link if you want to explore Map Run (ie orienteering using a smart phone)
Several permanent orienteering courses, suitable for schools, families ,pairs and individuals, have been set up at:
- Belair National Park Start at Adventure Playground
- Belair National Park. Start at Gums Oval
- Blue Gum Park/ Kurangga 18th Oct 2021 closed at present due to re-development of area.
- Hawthorndene Reserve
- Hazelwood Park Burnside
- Fox Creek: Thomas Hill.closed at present due to Cudlee Creek fires
- Kuitpo Forest: Christmas Hill map updated 27th July 2021
- Kuitpo Forest: The Eucalypts map updated 27th July 2021
- Kuitpo Forest: Kuitpo Headquarters 19th Oct 2021 New map and courses.
- Kuitpo Forest: Woodcutters Cottage (restricted to groups who have booked Woodcutter's Cottage, Tinjella Hut or Jack's Paddock) WARNING UPDATE 24th June 2021 : WARNING: When using Woodcutters Map during 2021 control numbers 83, 84, 89 & 98 may not be safe to visit because of tree felling and logging truck movements. Check at Forestry SA Office before using!
- Melrose. Start at Showgrounds
- Melrose. Start at Notice Board on Main Street opposite Over the Edge Bike Shop
- Mt Crawford Forest: Chalks
- North Adelaide 23rd Oct 2021 New courses and map
- Oaklands Wetland uodated
- Para Wirra Recreation Park. Start at Helipad Map & Course update 15th Aug 2021
- Paringa Paddocks Renmark
- Port Lincoln: Brinkworth Reserve
- Rawnsley Park Station New location 29th Sept 2020 Restricted to people staying at Rawnsley Park Station.
- Shepherds Hill Recreation Park
- St Peter's River Park on the Torrens Linear Park
- Tangari New location Woodcroft 27th June 2020
- Thorndon Park map updated Aug 2020
No experience is necessary.
A colour map with an orienteering course and the course's control descriptions are provided on an A4 page. Instructions are downloadable as well as extra information for schools & group leaders.
The permanent course consists of a number of permanently placed control markers. At each control point is a small orange and white marker. On the marker are a number code and a letter code. The number code is checked off against the control description printed on the orienteering map. The course controls should be visited in the correct order. With the scatter or score they can be visited in any order.
These courses introduce map reading skills, and in particular the features of an orienteering map. A compass is not necessary but may be useful.
Choose from 1 - 5 km courses along tracks & paths (easy navigation) or challenge yourself by trying the moderate or harder courses. Courses will take about 40 - 80 minutes to complete.