Updated 13th Nov 2023
- When using permanent courses remember that large groups are not recommended (1-2 is good) and that current social distancing rules must be applied.
- Always please make sure you use the most up to date map for any permanent course that you use. Changes often occur to both maps and courses. Controls on old maps may no longer exist and out of bounds areas change
26th Jan 2020: Fox Creek permanent courses closed for the present due to the impact of the Cudlee Creek fires. Check with Forestry SA Website
Thanks for registering your interest in using our permanent courses. Please report any damaged or missing control markers to the Orienteering SA Secretary. Your feedback would also be valued.
Google Map for course locations
Click on the map(s) you require below
Belair National Park - Park Office, Upper Sturt Rd, Belair, ph 8278 5477
Belair National Park Al l Control Codes for teachers & group leaders
A) Belair Course Set One: Gums Oval
The start and finish is next to a BBQ shed on the Western side of Gums Oval. Entry is via the main gate off Upper Sturt Road. Hard copy maps may be available from the National Park Office as you enter the Park.
Start: Belair Gums
Gums Courses updated July 2022
- BNP_Gums Easy 1. Easy Navigation 2.8 km
- BNP_Gums Moderate 1 Moderate Navigation 3.3km
- BNP_Gums Hard 1 Hard navigation 3.0km
- BNP Gums Hard 2 Hard Navigation 2.7 km
B) Belair Course Set Two: Adventure Playground..updated Nov 2018
The start & finish is at the "Adventure Orienteering" sign near the kiosk at the Adventure Playground. Hard copy maps may be available from the National Park Office as you enter the Park.
- Adventure 1 Easy 0.9km
- Adventure 2 Easy/Moderate 1.2km
- Adventure 3 Moderate 1.5km
- Adventure 4 Score or Scatter 20 controls
Blue Gum Park (Park 20) /Kurangga 18th August 2023 Re-opened with new courses and updated map.
The courses start and finish to the west of Tree Climb in the south parklands on the north side of Greenhill Rd. A temporary wooden post with a marker on top can be found there as shown in the photograph. Later this will be replaced by a proper sign.
- * Blue Gum Park. Course 3 1.7km
- * Blue Gum Park Course 4 1.9km
- * Blue Gum Park Scatter 16 controls
- Control Codes for Teachers and Team Leaders only
Fox Creek: Thomas Hill
Newsflash 26th Jan 2020: Fox Creek permanent courses closed for the present due to the impact of the Cudlee Creek fires
The courses start and finish just inside the main gate off Croft Road marked to "Fox Creek MTB Park"
Best for foot orienteering:
- Thomas Hill Fox Creek Easy1 1.9km
- Thomas Hill Fox Creek Moderate1 3.3km
- Thomas Hill Fox Creek Moderate2 1.5km
Best for Mountain Bike Orienteering
- Thomas Hill Fox Creek MTBO Moderate1 3.1km
- Thomas Hill Fox Creek MTBO Hard1 3.5km
Suitable for both foot and mountain bike orienteering
Carisbrooke Park New location 23rd Feb 2022
Start at sign (kindly provided by the City of Salisbury) on lawn at eastern end of southern car park off Main North Road, Salisbury.
- Control Codes for Teachers & Team Leaders only.
- Short Easy 1.5km
- Medium Moderate 2.2km
- Long Moderate 3.0km
- Scatter 24 controls
Hawthorndene Reserve map updated 5th July 2019
Start/Finish Hawthorndene Reserve
The start & finish is close to the southern entrance of the playground on Watahuna Ave just to the north of the roundabout. A temporary blue post is there at present which will soon be replaced by a prominant sign.
- Hawthorndene Reserve Instructions
- Control Codes for Teachers & Team Leaders Only
- HawthorndeneEasy1 0.8km
- HawthorndeneEasy2 0.9km
- Hawthorndene Scatter 19 controls
Happy Valley New location June 2023..updated 27th June 2023 due to minor errors Start/Finish at sign next to footbridge near car park off Chandlers Hill Rd.
Supported by SA Water.
Hazelwood Park Map & clue updated 29th Oct 2022
Sign marking start/finish
Enter the park via Howard Tce Burnside. The start and finish is as shown on the map just to the east of the Adventure Playground. Thanks to Burnside Council for installing the sign.
- Very Easy (wheelchair friendly) 0.8km
- Scatter Course 15 controls
For Teachers & Group Leaders only: Permanent Marker Codes HazelwoodPark updated 29th Oct 2022
Report to ForestrySA office (if they are open) before proceeding as some areas may be restricted due to forestry operations.
Start and Finish for Christmas Hill at the gate, northern side of Christmas Hill Rd near its junction with Brookman Road. Map updated 29th June 2021,Moderate Course updated 25th Sept 2022
Start & Finish for The Eucalypts Maps is at sign near the Rocky Creek Hut which is near the carpark on Razorback Rd.at sign near the Rocky Creek Hut which is near the carpark on Razorback Rd.. Map updated 27th July 2021
Start and finish for Kuitpo Headquarters Maps at the Kuitpo Forest Information Centre carpark which is opposite the junction of Wickham Hill Rd with Brookman Rd. 19th Oct 2021 New map and courses.
Start & Finish for Woodcutters Map is at Woodcutter’s Cottage or Tinjella Hut off Brookman Rd. Scatter course of 18 controls. Restricted to use by groups who have booked the Woodcutter’s Cottage Tinjella Hut or the Jack’s Paddock area from Forestry SA.
Course updated 25th Sept 2022
AllKuitpoForestDIYCoursesAnswerCodes.pdf For use by Teachers & Group Leaders Only. updated 25th Sept 2022
Marion Heritage Walk New 13th Nov 2023 Start and Finish at eastern end of Church Cres. Marion
- Marion Heritage Walk Map
- Marion Heritage Walk Brochure. Does not print very well. Better to get original brochure. Brochures can be collected from the City of Marion, the Marion Heritage Research Centre (next to Council on Sturt Road) and the Marion Historic Village Museum (Township Road, Marion).
A) Melrose Showgrounds . All easy to moderate courses in a safe well defined area. Ideal for school or other group use as well as individuals. Suitable for foot or mountain bike orienteering. Start and finish at the lighting tower on the eastern edge of the oval.
Showgrounds Start with Mt Remarkable in sight
16th Aug 2020 Updates to Melrose Showgrounds map & courses..
B) Melrose: Ups & Downs Start and finish at the public noticeboard opposite the Mt Remarkable Hotel. Largely on private land adjoining the town. Access has been kindly allowed by the landowner so please respect the property so that we continue to have access. Courses range from easy to hard and are suited to both mountain bike and foot orienteering. 1st April 2022 Changes to courses due to loss of control 38. Control replaced & now in new location
- Melrose Ups And Downs Courses Scatter (19 controls)
Melrose answer codes for Teachers and Group Leaders Only
Mt Crawford Forest: Updated 19th Feb 2020 Start is at the Chalks Camping Ground indicated on the map by the purple triangle. Turn into Forties Rd from Warren Rd about 1km south of the Forestry SA Headquarters.
- Chalks Easy Course 2.7km
- Chalks Moderate Course 3.9km
- Chalks Scatter Course 23 controls
Chalks Answer Codes for Teachers and Group Leaders Only
North Adelaide - 23rd Oct 2021 New courses and map. Update to map 16th Nov 2021
Start and finish is at Elder Park Rotunda. However there is no marker at this point.
For Teachers & Group Leaders Only All control Codes North Adelaide
The Oaklands Wetland is on the southern side of Oaklands Rd opposite the Marion Outdoor Swimming Centre.
- Oaklands Wetland.Easy 1 0.8km
- Oaklands Wetland.Easy 2 1.1km
- Oaklands Wetland.Easy 3 1.4km
- Oaklands Wetland.Easy 4 2.5km course updated 20th Oct 2023
Para Wirra Recreation Park Start at prominant sign on western side of Helipad car park. Map update 18th Aug 2022.
- Para Wirra Permanent Course.VERY EASY 1: 1.1km
- Para Wirra Permanent Course.VERY EASY 2: 1.7km
- Para Wirra Permanent Course.EASY 2.8km
- Para Wirra Permanent Course.MODERATE 3.1km
- Para Wirra Permanent Course Scatter 30 controls
Paringa Paddocks Renmark New location opened 27th Oct 2019. Courses start at either the Lions Park (LP) or the Visitor Information Centre (VIC). There are both FOOT orienteering and MTBO courses available.
- LP Foot Hard1 1.8km
- LP Foot Hard2 4.0km
- LP Foot Moderate1 1.7km
- LP MTBO Moderate1 4.8km
- Paringa Paddocks All Controls Scatter Course 41 controls
- VIC Foot Moderate1 5.1km
- VIC Foot Moderate2 4.0km
- VIC MTBO Moderate1 8.3km
Port Lincoln: Brinkworth Reserve: More information about these courses can be obtained by visiting the Lincoln Orienteers Website: http://www.lincolnorienteers.com.au/
- Brinkworth Reserve.Easy 0.8km
- Brinkworth Reserve Score or Scatter (20 controls)
Rawnsley Park Station New location 29th Sept 2020 Restricted to people staying at Rawnsley Park Station.
All courses start and finish at the sign next to the Caravan Park Office
* Short Easy Course 1.7km
* Medium Course 2.7km Some navigational skills required
* Long Course 4.3km. Good navigational skills required
* Score Course (26 controls) Some controls will require good navigational skills
Shepherds Hill Recreation Park All courses start and finish at the eastern end of the car park on Ayliffes Road. Just start at the information sign with the O markers on them. Map and courses updated 30th May 2023
- Shepherds Hill Easy 1.2km
- Shepherds Hill Moderate 1.3km
- Shepherds Hill Hard 1.4km
- Shepherds Hill Scatter 22 controls
For Teachers & Team Leaders Only Control Codes Shepherds Hill Recreation Park
St Peters River Park (Torrens Linear Park) Start and finish at prominent sign on north east side of BBQ area and toilets accessible from car park on River Road. Map updated Dec 2019.
Start for St Peters River Park
- St Peters River Park_Permanent Courses.Short Easy 0.7km
- St Peters River Park_Permanent Courses.Medium Moderate 1.4km
- St Peters River Park_Permanent Courses.Long Moderate 2.7km
- St Peters River Park_Permanent Courses Scatter 23 controls
For Teachers & Team Leaders only Permanent control Codes St Peters River Park
Tangari (Woodcroft) Start at the orienteering sign next to the northern car park on Pine Road, Woodcroft.
For Teachers & Team Leaders only Permanent Control Codes Tangari
Thorndon Park (Athelstone) Some maps are also available free (weekends only subject to availability) from the Rotary Club Kiosk. Start and finish at the sign near the kiosk. Map and courses updated 6th July 2023
- Thorndon Park Permanent Courses.Short Easy 1.3km
- Thorndon Park Permanent Courses.Medium Moderate 2.2km
- Thorndon Park Permanent Courses Scatter 23 controls
For Teachers & Group Leaders Only: Permanent control answers ThorndonPark