Orienteering Resources for Teachers & Coaches:
Collated by Ken Thompson updated 27th Jan 2020 Thanks to ideas also contributed by Sport Australia (formally Australian Sports Commission), Adrian Uppill, Paul Hoopman, Chris Franklin, Kay Haarsma & Zita Sankauskas. Prices are a guide only and are subject to change.
Get the Starter Pack for detailed information on how to get started.
- Orienteering: The Adventure Sport for Everyone A new short promotional Video filmed at the 2017 National Championhips in NSW
- Two good inspirational videos to show students (particularly older students or adults) at the start of your programme:
- Very Good instruction for students & teachers on how to approach a park map or permanent course. Also helpful in showing how such courses should be structured: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRUvSWiDgc8
- What is an Orienteering Map https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vug5kiA67N8
- IOF presents Orienteering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZmYCvMTmQI
An Introduction to what orienteering is all about: 2012_Flinders_Uni_Presentation_min.pdf
Current List of Permanent Orienteering Courses: DIY Orienteering
Purple Pen: a free program for course planning and printing: http://purple-pen.org
Notes on use & installation of Purple Pen: Using Purple Pen For Course Planning
- All general inquiries regarding school support:
- Technical support re use of Purple Pen: Ken Thompson.
Contact: Ralph Koch Ph: 03 9714 8540 Mobile: 0419 577 514 http://www.osoa.com.au
- Flags – smaller ones from Hart Sport. Only $4.50 for the 15cm ones or $4.90 for big ones. www.hartsport.com.au/sport/orienteering-equipment/orienteering-accessories Also very good quality. Alternatively you could use small white icecream tubs and add some red colour to them, and a punch and write on a code.
- Permanent Markers Daytona Signs138 Morgan Ave Melrose Park 5039 Ph 8277 1303 (Mention Orienteering SA & they will know what you mean) 50 X Metal plates 9.5cm x 9.5cm with orange triangle plus alphabet & number codes (suggest 3 sets of alpha & 2 sets of numbers) approx. cost (2014) $350
- Corflute controls 130mm x 200mm with triangular top as shown with facility to attach a punch are good for schoolyards and portable use as they aren’t as visible as normal flags & punches. Cost 20 - $165 incl GST, 30 $231 incl GST. You can add a lock and chain if you feel necessary. Enquiries to School support email:
- Punch cards for use when you want to re-use maps and not punch on the map: Control_cards_3up_on_A4_OSA.pdf
- Set of 64 marker on printable A4 pages. Complete with code list. Sheets can be laminated and used as markers if cost is a problem: Markers_64_A4_sheets.zip
Ideas & Info for School Orienteering:
Programme Suitable for Primary School Use: (as used in NSW After Hours Care Programme)
- ‘Orienteering Games: The Ultimate Teaching Resource’ Available from Orienteering Queenland Electronic version $22, Printed version $48.50 https://oq.asn.au/o-games-book
- There is also an excellent free resource, "Games Orienteers Play", which contains lesson plans for Prep to Yr 12. This is also available from Orienteering Queensland.
- Illustrated young readers book "Gang O Kids" by Hazel Edwards $11.95 Available from: www.osoa.com.au
- An excellent introductory guide to the sport of orienteering written by Carol McNeill. $34.95 * Web: www.osoa.com.au
- Elementary Orienteering Instructors Manual $16.95 plus postage. Available online from Orienteering Service of Australia (see above). A bit dated but contains some good ideas.